Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Four Legged Friends




Horses are like people. No two are exactly the same. They may look similar, but they each have personalities all their own. Like people, some are lazy, some are shy, and others can be cheerful, rude, or downright rough. For me learning the personality of a horse is sometimes just as fun as riding it. I wouldn’t advise jumping on a horse before you take a little time to walk around it, and feel how it reacts to you.

Depending on the day, the weather, their health, etc. each of their moods will vary. When I walk into a pasture, I can feel the mood. The feeling is similar to when you walk into a room in your own house after not being there for a while. If everyone suddenly gets quiet and looks at the floor, you know something is probably wrong. The same thing happens in the pasture. If horses start walking toward me, it’s usually a sign that they’re happy, alert and interested in what I might have to offer them. On the other hand, if I walk through the gate, and they all stay where they are, or trot away from me, I know they’ve had a rough night, they’re feeling lazy, or just content to stay where they are. I’ve had a few times when trying to get a horse from the pasture was like moving a building from its foundation, which, of course, is next to impossible. Like children, horses respond well to bribery. A handful of grain or a couple of carrots will usually help make them cooperate.

Sensing moods seems to work both ways. Looking back on all the horses I’ve ridden, they seemed to respond to my frame of mind at a particular time. If I came to the farm with a lot of energy, after a short time the horse I was riding would match my enthusiasm. If I wasn’t feeling well, or I was rushed, and had other things on my mind, the horse recognized this too. Those are the days that I have learned to put my horse away early and maybe muck stalls instead. It’s not worth fighting a mental battle with a horse when you’re not in the right frame of mind. Just because he is bigger and stronger he will automatically win. You will go home frustrated, feeling like you haven’t accomplished anything. The horse may feel like he got away with murder, and you’ll wind up spending three days to undo the behavior you triggered with your bad mood.

My four legged friends have taught me a lot of things. Trusting my instinct, learning to listen and observe, respect for boundaries, to expect the unexpected, and patience are only a few of the lessons I’ve learned so far. I know there will always be something new that a horse can teach me.

1 comment:

  1. Ty this is really well written. I completely agree, one of my blogs talks about the individuality of horses but not necessarily there moods. Horses are amazing animals I love how they can sense what type of mood you're in it's so cool!This is a good blog.

    ReplyDelete