Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Game Days


The rooster hasn’t crowed, because the sun won’t rise for a couple of hours. In fact it’s so early that Dunkin Donuts isn’t open when we pass it on the way to the farm. Gymkhana competition days begin with a very early wake up call. In general, I’m a morning person anyway, but knowing I’m headed to race my horse in competition really gets me energized.

Getting ready for a Gymkhana day starts on Saturday afternoon. Everyone who’s going, washes and grooms their horse, polishes their show saddle, bridle and boots, and loads their show clothes onto the trailer. These are all things that will be part of the judging process in addition to the rider’s time in each game. We meet at the farm around five a.m., and start to load water, hay and the horses onto the trailers for the ride up to DVHA. After we arrive at the grounds, we scurry around, putting up tents and tables, filling out entry forms, and then we start to help our youngest riders saddle up and get dressed. They will be the first called to the ring.


By noon, the sun is blazing hot and I’m feeling anxious to get into the ring. I have worked with my new partner, Lottie, for about nine months now. She’s tall with muscles that have become as strong as rocks. Through all our hard work, she’s become an amazing competitor, and isn’t shy about taking risky turns at top speed. My old racing partner, Taz, died a couple of years ago. I felt extremely attached to him because I felt like he could read my mind, and I could read his. Even though he was small compared to our competition, we were unbeatable from our first race together. When I first get into the ring with Lottie, it’s easy for me to remember Taz very clearly. I feel like he is watching over me and my new partner, and rooting for us. When I hear the announcer on the loud speaker say, “…and here comes Ty on his new ride, Lottttttieeee,” I snap quickly back to reality and steady Lottie, facing the gate. When I feel she’s ready, I take a breath, and together we spin around and head for the first barrel. I like winning, but I love the feeling of knowing how much we’ve worked together and bonded to get this far even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment