Sunday, January 8, 2012

Home Away From Home


If you know me at all, you know my favorite place to spend my free time is at the farm. I spend so much time there that I think of it as my home away from home. If I don’t make it there during the week, I know when I open my eyes on Saturday morning, that within sixty short minutes, the tires on my dad’s car will be making that crackling sound as they roll over the long, unpaved stone driveway that leads to the barn. My mom remembers the first time she drove me up that driveway eight years ago. She looked in her rearview mirror and saw me smiling. Even as a seven year old I guess I felt something great was waiting for me there.

To the average person, Whispering Winds farm probably doesn’t look like much. It may even be a little disappointing, or seem unsettled and disorganized. To me though, it is a slice of heaven. The pasture lays green and sloping on the left, filled with horses. The tiny, red summer camp building leans toward the massive evergreen tree on the right. One of the three farm dogs will be lying in the way of the car, to slow you down enough so they can announce your arrival. Coming around the corner is the “big” barn. It’s open on both ends, and depending on how the sun is hitting it, there will be twelve horse heads in shadow, or twenty four eyes fixed on your every move. In the distance is the work barn most identifiable by the tangled chaos of colorful farm equipment, some parked there from three generations ago. A flock of guinea hens runs recklessly about all day long as if they’re being chased by hungry wolves. I wish I knew what they were thinking. A right turn down a small hill leads to the indoor ring, easily recognizable on a dry day by the dust blowing out the double wide doors. When I walk in I’m always greeted by at least one of the two kinds of friends I have at the farm, two legged or four legged. There isn’t much difference, they’re all happy to see me and I’m thrilled to see them.

I can’t imagine being the person I am today without the experiences I’ve had of growing up on the farm.

2 comments:

  1. You did a really nice job and I think it's really cool that you connect and love your farm so much. You're so right, I feel like every time I talk to you, you're at your farm. It's amazing that you can appreciate a tiny place in the world so much because a lot of people let those feelings pass them by.
    Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job ty! I really liked how you took something as simple and maybe "boring" to some people, and you were able to write a lot about it. Also, it was obvious that you are passionate towards your barn and horses. All of your blog posts are really good, nice job!

    ReplyDelete